Monday, April 30, 2007

The day of the dead

In Moldova, and Moldova alone, there is a special holiday a week after Easter where everyone goes to the cemetery and has a picknick. It is done either Sunday or Monday, depending on where you live. Sunday I got to experience the holiday in Bălţi with another volunteer. We just walked around watching everyone else have their picknicks next to their dead relatives. Monday I went to the village with my host family to experience the picknick. It was all very strange. We had a huge meal and drank lots of wine and vodka. Then I ran around the cemetery playing with the kids (honestly, who runs around and plays in a cemetery?). This is what the cemeteries look like. They don't get rid of the extra dirt when they burry a person. So all over the place you have mounds where the dead lay. Kind of creepy.

Some of the girls I was playing with. The middle girl is my coutnerpart's daughter.
My host dad, host brother, me (with my new haircut that I don't like-It was a semi mullet at first but I cut it off and I pin the bangs back and it all looks better now. I made the mistake of telling the hairdresser to do what she wanted. But hair grows so it isn't too bad.), my counterpart's husband and my counterpart.



People having their masa (picknick).


A picture from the cemetery in Bălţi. The graves in the city cemetery were all surrounded by gates and fences. In the city and village most of the gaves have permanant tables next to them just for this holiday.


A grave with a fence and table.




No comments: