Friday, October 13, 2006

My Site...

On Tuesday we learned where we will be living for the next two years. I will be up north in the raion of Baltsi(pronounced- belts) in the village of Elizaveta. It is a village of 3,700 and it is 15 minutes outside the city of Baltsi. I still am not quite sure what I will be doing though I know my organization works with kids. I don't know what their goals are but I do know that the village wants water, so hopefully I can be that awesome volunteer that brought them water, they currently have wells. The village has never had a volunteer before so I will be the interesting new person- "The American". Tomorrow we go visit our sites for 4 days all by ourselves. I have to get on the correct bus and get off in the correct village. Then I have to spend 4 days meeting my counterpart(the person I will be working with for the next two years) and potential host families. My counterpart has found three families for me and over the next four days I meet them and choose which one I want to live with for the next two years. This is really exciting!!! Luckily there are at least 5 volunteers who live in Baltsi or right around it who I can turn to in the next 4 four days if I need help or just a break from trying to speak Romanian.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool. I love the wine fest. photos and we all are really enjoying your postings. It helps keep us close to you.
Love and Miss you, Jenni

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! Sounds like such an adventure already! I'm glad things are going well for you and you're having such a great time. Good luck in your new home town.
Chris Blu

Melissajo said...

How exciting! You're going get to visit your new village! How will you choose who to live with? That sounds like a tough choice to me! I still want to come visit you! =) Maybe this summer?

Have fun!!!

Missy

Melissajo said...

So, I have this internet hobby... I like searching for bands from overseas online. Any suggestions from Moldova? I'll check them out online - I get a kick out of it.

So far I've found Arsenium - "love me love me" http://www.myspace.com/arsenium
Have you heard him? Popular at all?

I found a Romanian band that looked pretty popular... O-zone. http://www.myspace.com/ozone

Anyway, have fun Jen!!!

Melissajo said...

Haha, this is awesome - it will help you with your Romanian. Here's a link for O-zone singing somewhere in Asia (Korea maybe?) Anyway, there's romanian subtitles so you can sing along =) (Oh, and Korean? subtitles too so you can try tackling 2 in 1)! Hope you have headphones? I picture you at some internet cafe doing your blogging? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUytLO5Ag0

Jennifer Nelson said...

Missy- So I still haven't heard much popular Romanian/Moldovan music, mostly just American Pop and Moldovan traditional music. But my language teacher said O-Zone was popular, Zdob si Zdub is popular, Parazitii, Zale, Racla, Bug Mafia(this is gansta/hiphop)