Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fish, Fish, and Guess What? More Fish!!!

That's right, all I eat is fish! Our doctor here in Moldova told us to be very cautious about fish and try to avoid it unless it is from an ocean, which Moldova doesn't have. I am pretty sure the fish my family gets is from Moldova, who wants to pay the extra money to buy fish imported when you can buy it cheaply from a vendor in the piata(market) unrefridgerated and covered in flies. The fish in our house does seem clean and somewhat healthy. We were warned against the metal levels in the fish but as long as it is cooked well enough we shouldn't get any parasitic infections in our tummies. So far so good. I made the mistake the first day I met my host family by telling them I love fish, totally forgeting what Lica (the doctor) said. So now we eat it every other day or as of lately everyday, I had it twice yesterday. Most people have a wide variety of food in their freezers- bags of veggies, meat, icecream, etc. But not us!!! We have just fish, and not a little bit of it. It takes a some time to rearranged and pack "new catches" in. Hopefully I will come home as healthy as I left........We eat chicken every once in a while, I had it fried for breakfast a couple mornings ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, Sorry I missed you party - was in New York that day. It was great fun - I got to see the US tennis open - very cool event. Steve and the kids said I missed a fun party. We are having an usually pleasant fall so far but haven't made it back to the lake since Labor day weekend. How is the weather there? Are you still using the outdoor toilet or have you moved indoors? (Great pictures) SO have your concerns over packing and eating fish proved to be true or are you doing ok? Do you have any big holidays to share with your host family before Christmas? I guess they probably don't care too much about Thanksgiving! Think of you often and wonder how you are doing. Take care and hope all is well. Judy M-ski

Jennifer Nelson said...

Everything is awesome, the fish is tasty, and I did pack alright. So far I havent packed anything I havent used and there are a couple things I wish I may have thrown in my bag but it is not a big deal. In the capital you can find almost anything. No special holidays yet, they don't celebrate thanksgiving but all the volunteers will go into the capital for a couple days and have a huge feast together. Moldovans do celebrate christmas, Dec. 25th and Jan. 7th(some old orthodox christmas) and they do celbrate New Years on Jan 1st and Jan 17th(?). Halloween is coming up and some people celebrate it and some don't, but those that do probably don't celebrate it like we do.

Anonymous said...

Russian Orthodox and others follow the Christian calendar. That's where the 12 days of Christmas comes from, Dec. 25th to Jan. 6th is 12 days, so they are celebrating the end of the Christmas season; it's also known as "12th night", which then begins the next season (of partying to some) leading up to Ash Wednesday (preceded by Fat Tues or Mardi Gras-the finale of the party before giving up all sinful things for lent which starts on Ash Wed., and starts the next Christian season leading up to Easter).