Friday, September 29, 2006

MAMA MEA GAZDA ESTE ACASA

"My host mom is home!" Last night I met my host mom for the first time. It was wonderful, she gave me a huge hug and kiss on the cheek and made me eat lots. She has been away at...um...a spa, I think. Through broken English and Romanian this is what I have deduced. She doesn't work at all and will be home all the time to cook me great food and plump me up for the "miserable, cold winter"(a quote from a host country national). The food has been amazing so far. Lots of potatoes (my favorite), lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, bread, pasta...speaking of pasta, I got to make ravioli the other night with my host sister, from scratch. It took us about two hours to make the dough, roll it out, fill it with brinza (sheep cheese), fold it up and boil it. We ate it covered in sour cream, it was gustos!!!! Whenever we have HUB Site days, where all of our group gets together for a full day a lectures and lessons, it is fun to compare the hearty lunches our mama gazdas give us, and it is always way more than any of us can eat. Many people might label me a picky eater, but not anymore. I have been eating everything, well except eggs and mayo, I may never give in to those. I had eggplant for the first time the other day, my oh my, it was delicious. Oh, I am getting so excited for lunch!!!

3 comments:

Melissajo said...

Mmmmmm! Homemade Ravioli!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie, loved reading your blog on your experiences over there! Sounds like the food is really excellent, tho the 'fair weather' toilet picture made me wince a bit. I try to *not* imagine what it smells like on a warm day. eeww. So sorry I missed your farewell party at your Mom's house that Sunday, really wanted to say goodbye and best wishes before you left. Blast it :( If you need anything, just let me know and I'll sent it to you asap. Take care and lots of love,

Aunt Kris

Unknown said...

Noroc si sanatate!
Hi, I happened upon your blog...I was a PCV in Moldova from 2002-2004. Health Educator- Group 10. Great to relive those 1st impressions through your site. Remember them because in a few months you wont think twice. Hope you have a great time. If Elvira is still in charge of the Health program, pls let her know that Jason Gordon says hello. Oh, you're from Seattle - I just moved here. Anyways, enjoy and contact me at jegger79@gmail.com if u like...