Sunday, September 17, 2006

Holy Crap! I am in Moldova!

Alright, so I am here. I made it safely. I don't know where to start...
For starters, last night was closest to my first normal night of sleep. Since leaving Seattle I haven't slept more that 6 hours a night, usually about 4. I have been very tired and try to go to bed early but I can't sleep. Excitement and jetlag have kept me up staring at the ceiling all night. Last night was my first night out of Chisinau (pronounced quiche-now), the capital, staying with my host family, which is a whole new adventure. The past three days in the capital we have had all day language trainings, medical evaluations, and talks. I am now in the town of Ialoveni(yal-o-ven) with my host family. We met them yesterday around noon at our hotel. It was the worst anticipation ever. I was on the verge on hyperventilating, crying, and throwing up. I was terrified and excited to meet them. But once we met it was all ok. So, for my family. I have 2 brothers and one sister, and a mom and dad. They live in a normal size house with a garden surrounding the entire thing (no yard to play, maybe that is what the street is for- "game on") and they have a chicken coop with chickens and two ducks. When they get big enough we will eat them. The food has been great. Yesterday I ate fish which I was told not to eat and fruit washed in the tap water which I was also told not to eat. You will probably hear soon that I am sick, like always when I travel. For dinner we had mamalinga which is a cornmeal type bread/polenta/cornbread and I saw my host sister pick the worms out of the cornmeal while she was sifting it(uh-oh, more sickness on it's way). With this dense cornbread we had brinza(sheep milkcheese), sour cream(from a bag), fish, and a fish sauce that ws full of garlic(I was burping garlic all night). This meal is eaten with your hands and mixed together, it was good. The gross thing I tried yesterday was Kefir, sour milk. Oh my goodness it ws terrible. My sister and brother both speak english which won't be good for me learning Romanian, it is hard to be strict that they speak only Romanian because it is exhausting playing Charades for 12 hours a day. La revedere(bye) and stay tuned for more....

1 comment:

Melissajo said...

I'm glad it sounds like you're settling in. How exciting for you!

I remember in Thailand it was impossible to stick to all those food guidelines when doing a home-stay without feeling so rude. Just eat whatever you want. I figured that if they live, I'll probably live too. (I do hope you don't get sick again though!)

What's Kefir like? I had airag in Mongolia... fermented milk. It tasted like hot salty tea. Really weird.

I can't wait to hear more of you adventures!!