Thursday, July 05, 2007

Selcuk

SO after a long 10 hour bus ride over night we arrived in the small town of Selcuk (the "c" is supposed to have a tail thing on it to make a "ch" sound, but I don't know how to do it). He of course where immediatley approached by pushy hotel and pension owners tryign to get us to stay at their place. It is really annoying and overwhelming when this happens but at the same time can be nice when you have no idea where you were going to stay. So we picked the cheapest there and were on our way.

After checking into our small quaint and especially quiet pension we got ourselves a nice Turkish breakfast. Everywhere we stayed on our trip we got free breakfast included and it was always a Turkish breakfast. What is a Turkish breakfast you ask. Well, it consists of 4-5 salty, salty olives, 4-5 slices of cuccumber, 4-5 slices of tomato, an amazing salty, crumbly cheese, a hard boiled egg, bread, jam, honey, and butter. I think that is it. Every once in a while we got a slice of orange or watermelon. And of course there was tea and coffee, neither of which I drink. The Turks didn't know what to do with me when I told them this. At first the wold assume that I didn't drink certain types of tea but where completely astounded when I said I didn't like tea at all. I think this brought down my credibility in their eyes a couple notches.

So anyways. That first day we were EXHAUSTED from our wonderfully confomfortable 10 hour bus ride that got us exactly zero hours of sleep. But because I am me and was already awake I was ready to hit the beach. But of course Jason likes his sleep a little more than I do. So we layed down for an hour or so before I got too restless and made him get up. Why sleep in a hotel room when you can sleep on the beach????

Big mistake! We slept on the beach alright. But do you know what happens in the begining of summer in the hot Adriatic sun to people who's skin had been hiding under winter clothes for the past 8 months? It burns. We used the sunscreen! I swear! But since I can be a restless person when it comes to inactivity I kept turning over and read most of the time. Jason however, laid down on his back with his fingers laced together resting on his stomach. And you know what? Even now you can see every finger perfectly suntanned onto his stomach. Amazing!!! I have never seen a better tan. At the time he didn't think it was too funny and it was pretty painful for him for almost a whole week. I have an amazing picture of it but he has refused to let me post it, sorry folks. After our first day of playing on the beach and swimming in the Adriatic Sea we decided to keep ourselves covered and just do some sightseeing. Above is Jason at the infamous Ephesus. A large area of ruins. If you can look closely he has a scared look on his face because of the approaching Japanese tourists.
I found the bathroom. But din't worry I am only posing for the camera, if you couldn't tell by pants still up around my waist. There were about 15 or so of these holes made out of a nice marble or something for using the bathroom (Moldovans should learn from the Greeks on how to do an outhouse right).

So this is an amazing looking building with a lot of annoying tourists ruining the picture. This was probably the only shady spot in the entire area to escape the blazing 90 degree sun. There were so many tourists though. It was crazy. I couldn't believe how many of them were on packaged tour things either. HMM, not my ideal way to travel.

The huge theater. It was big.

This is now at St. John's Basilica. More ruins.

Same place

Me and Jason one night climbed up the side of St. John's Basilica to watch the sunset and eat our dessert (though at the time we had no idea what we were climbing up the side of). We got into a bad habbit of eating lots of dessert. One night we went out for icecream and ended up with a fourteen scoop bowl with chocolate, coconut, and nuts on top. And yeah, we ate it all. Or we would go get a pastry and end up ordering almost one of everything (remember Delhi Clayton?).

This is the ould aquaduct that ran through the city. At the top of the pillars there were huge stork nests.
We stayed in Selcuk for 2 days before moving on down the coast to Selemiye.

1 comment:

clayton said...

"Or we would go get a pastry and end up ordering almost one of everything (remember Delhi Clayton?)."
Do I remember? ... oh yeah!
I miss American gluttony overseas :)