Monday, July 09, 2007

Summer in Moldova

Jason wrestling with my host brother and old host brother. They love that he is here because now they have an "older brother".
A fun sequence of Jason jumping of a wall at Orheiul Vech.







Maybe you are curious what I have been up to lately. And maybe not. But I am going to tell you. So for starters, the weather has been 80-90 degrees and sunny everyday since May. Therefore I have been outside doing something every chance I get. I have been spending almost every weekend travelling around Moldova visiting other volunteers and seeing the sights. Moldova is so beautiful right now!!!! The fields are full of wheat, sunflowers, and corn. Though we have all been loving the sun and heat the main topic of conversation is the horrible drought we are having. The Moldovans are not happy that their fields aren't growing and the strawberry season came and went in a week providing only small green things. The price of peppers has skyrocketed to an all time high of 100 lei ($8) a kilo. All of the produce available has been going up in price every week. We have been getting thundershowers on a somewhat regular basis but it only rains for 20 minutes or so before the sun comes back out to dry it all up.


The Sunflowers!!!! Me, Jason, and Annie

Me, Annie, and Jeff at Orehiul Vech
Me, Jason, and Jeff

Jason, Annie, and Jeff at Orheiul Vech
Well, on a positive note, my organization just won a big grant to build a fitness center! We are all very excited and it should keep me very busy keeping an eye on the renovations and money spending. Other than this life has just been normal here. I have been teaching English 3 days a week and I have art and knitting class.


The 4th of July was a blast, the 3 different times I celebrated it. On June 30th the American Chamber of Commerce organized a big party for all the Americans in the country. We got together in Chisinau and hung outside all day. The food selection kind of sucked, I got one bite of pork chop and then only got veggies. But there was plenty of beer and wine! They ran out of water half way through the 8 hour party in the hot sun. Then on the real 4th I had a BBQ at my house. My host family was out of town and I invited all the volunteers who live around me over to grill and have fun. Then on the 5th I was invited to the Ambasador's house for a party there. Only 8 of us volunteers were invited to go eat wonderful food ans shmooze with the embassy staff and big wig Moldovans. It was a bit intimidating I have to admit.

No comments: