Monday, January 01, 2007

Moldovan New Years






As I have mentioned before, New Years is a very unexciting holiday for me and usually prefer to stay home (though the last two years spent playing bunko at Bob and Robin’s was very fun!). Well last night I got to stay home and do absolutely nothing. I went into work for the afternoon so that the kids could play their computer games for hours on end and then returned home before it got too dark. On my way home I stopped to watch a group of boys play ice hockey, village style. The boys didn’t have any type of hockey equipment but made do with some sticks and a tuna fish type can. Clad in their tennis shoes they slipped and slid all over the frozen creek (it has been very cold here, everything is frozen, and we would have snow if it weren’t clear and sunny everyday).
When I got home I ate some food and relaxed with my knitting. As some of you know I am currently working on a sweater which I have now finished and will post some pictures later. It has turned out as good as a first sweater can. I wish I would have used a different yarn and color because with the texture the yarn created and the brown color, I look like I am wearing a fury/hairy sweater…not the most attractive, but oh well, at least it is warm. Relaxing at home I kept stealing glances at our Christmas tree, though I couldn’t really see any tree because of all the garland and tinsel. Moldovans think the tree is beautiful when I show them pictures but I have a different word, “tacky.” But really I wouldn’t change it, it makes Moldova what it is.
Around 9 pm we ate dinner and then watched New Years television, you know the kind…ice skating shows, comic shows, etc. with everyone dressed up and drinking champagne. We of course all fell asleep and host aunt woke us up at 10 til midnight so we could eat cake and drink champagne. While toasting there were awesome fireworks going off in the neighbors yard right behind us. Then around 12:30 we went back to sleep.
I woke early this morning to the boys watching TV and eating the chocolates I bought for them waiting for me to watch the DVDs I bought them (Superman and X-men 3). They bought me yummy dark chocolate and shared their chocolates with me. We pigged out all morning watching Superman. Then we had more cake for breakfast (I also had a banana, apple, and oatmeal) and the boys finished off the champagne. Yes, they are only 12 and 13 but here it is normal to drink at an early age. When my host brother went outside to feed the dog and pigs he found our poor little dog frozen. It is sad but we all had a good laugh that he was frozen. I find frozen dogs every once in a while walking around the village, survival of the fittest here. Now I am at work so the boys can play their games. Happy New Year!!!

No comments: