Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Crazy Week

Last week was insane!!! It started with Monday. I went to work in the afternoon then to Balti to work with my Odyssey of the Mind group followed by dinner with another volunteer (we made chicken pasta in a peanut sauce, absolutely delicious). Then tuesday I went to work at the normal time and got stuck there alone working and running the place. I had kids yelling at me to put time on their computers so they could play their games, I had people wanting photocopies(and when the xerox went on the fritz I had to figure out how to fix it while it spouted error messages at me in Russian), and then I had old women wanting me to type stuff up for them(which would have been fine except they wanted fancy borders and stuff which I couldn't figure out how to do because the computer programs are in Russian). Then on Wednesday I had lunch with a couple volunteers then a tutoring session. Lunch was fun, tutoring was not. I was very frustrated and couldn't speak worth anything. Thursday I woke up early to go to Chisinau to take care of residency papers and such. Ran all around the city running errands. I got back to Balti aroun 5:30pm and missed the bus to my village. So I had to wait until 6:30 for the next bus. Somehow managed to miss that one too. Since the next one wasn't coming until 8:15 I took a cab home. It cost a lot but I was so tired and hungry it was worth it. Then on Friday I taught a computer class which was interesting because I don't know any computer terms in romanian and the computers are in russian. It went ok though. I taught the kids how to use Word, they wrote messages and changes the color, font, and size of their workds. Then Saturday I went to Balti early for Odyssey of the Mind, then worked the rest of the day. Then Sunday I worked all day. I had to open the center at 10am and was there until 5pm. For some reason none of the computers wanted to work correctly while I was there and had some arguments with some of the kids over them. I snuck out of there around 1:30 to go eat lunch and run, but returned to help out with a training my organization was putting on. And to top it all off our water pump broke Friday night. We are wihtout running water now. I am like other volunteers. I have to use the well and bucket bathe. It isn't too bad except that I am running out of clean clother and need to do some laundry. Host aunt says I can use her washing machine in balti but I haven't had time to go there and do laundry. Today I have oipened the center and have to go in an hour for my tutoring session in Balti. Maybe it might not seem crazy to those of you in the Western world who work 8 hours a day normaly, but it is a big change for me, I am used to barely working.

No comments: