Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Progress

To work on my language I have started seeing a tutor twice a week which has added more to my schedule. It gives me a reason to leave the village and go into Balti twice a week for two hours. My language is doing ok, I feel like I have come to a standstill on speaking and vocabulary yet I can understand more and more what people are saying. Yesterday my counterpart and I discussed activities and programs to start in the spring after we remodel a room adjacent to ours, where our computer center is. We came up with activities and budgets to put into a project proposal she is currently writing. Also, yesterday I became a co-coach with another PC volunteer of an Odyssey of the Mind team with 7 teens in Balti, another reason to go into the city another 2 days a week. If you don’t know what Odyssey of the Mind is I will tell you more about it later, or you can look it up online. So things are going well, I am starting to make myself busy, not just going to work and then back home. I try to set little goals for myself all the time. Two of them right now are to run for 45 minutes and to go into Balti and get my jeans taken in. I have been meaning to get them taken in for a month and half now but am kind of scared to do it. I am scared I won’t understand the tailor and that they won’t understand me, that is why it is a big goal of mine. Hopefully I will do it tomorrow when I go into Balti for tutoring.

No comments: